OPI will partner with Sanrio this holiday season to celebrate their most iconic little girl, Hello Kitty’s 45th anniversary in late 2019. This collection is sure to be on everyone’s Holiday must-have list. In addition to the new limited edition shades, we will be bringing back ‘Let’s Be Friends!’, for a total of 15 shades. All the more reason everyone is invited to this fabulous birthday party! The original Hello Kitty Collection for OPI launched 3 years ago. The popularity of the collection created so much buzz that markets requested it for a holiday collection.
About the old OPI Hello Kitty
The OPI Hello Kitty 2016 Collection landed on my desk late last week and since then, I haven’t stopped smiling. She’s so cute. She’s so perfect. You want to see it. I know you do. Get yourself a cuppa and let’s scroll through swatches. After the swatches, how about some stick pics? Yeah, you know you love those!
OPI Hello Kitty 2016 is stuffed with crèmes, pinks and shimmery things. It’s also stuffed with divine formulas and that pro-wide brush that I love. Pretty much everything is two simple coats and I’ve eschewed top coat so you can see exactly what’s in the bottles. It’s all so good. When OPI gets it right, boy howdy do they get it right!
The OPI Pro Wide Brush is flat, wide and medium in length. It’s of average stiffness and easily spreads out on the nail when pressed. The only downside to the Pro Wide brush is that it can be too wide for slim fingers or little toes.
Wide range of finishes and pigment levels
- OPI 5 Apples Tall is a bright red creme. It leans a little warm, but I would consider it a pretty true red. The formula has a good, thin flow with decent pigmentation. I was able to see a bit of my free edge through the second coat, so I used three thin coats, but those with a heavier hand may get away with less.
- OPI Charmmy & Sugar is a lavender-laced pink pearlescent shimmer mixed with small multi-coloured hex glitter. The metallic nature of the shimmer base allows the sheer formula to provide decent coverage. I used three coats here, and you can still see my tips on camera, but in person, it’s not as noticeable. The foil- quality makes it pretty reflective. As you can see below, it’s a bit of a chameleon in that the pink shimmer hides indirect light. You see it more at an angle. Also, it’s unique to my collection, with China Glaze Prism and Full Spectrum being the only thing even remotely similar, and they don’t have the same smooth glitter finish.
- OPI Kitty White is a semi-sheer shimmer with the same iridescent quality as Charmmy & Sugar. In the swatch picture, you can’t really see that there are tiny pink and blue specks floating in the sea of icy white. I used three coats here, so pigmentation is lacking. Because the formula is so thin and smooth, I would consider this a layering colour. OPI Girls Love Diamonds is Kitty White’s closest cousin with Diamonds being more pigmented. I would opt for GLD if you want full coverage, Kitty White if you want to layer.
- OPI Let’s Be Friends is a milky, cool baby pink creme. It’s thick with pigment, but I could tell on the first coat that it’s a bit streaky, so I floated a generous bead of polish over the nail to avoid streaks. In spite of that, I still needed three coats to get full coverage. Though with three coats it looks kind of thick on the nail. It looks like a neutral on its own, but next to Zoya Dot and Essie Romper Room you can see how pink it actually is.
- OPI Look at My Bow! is a cool, bubblegum pink. It’s bright, but not neon and the formula is lusciously creamy. It’s a little less pigmented than I would like, so I used three coats here. Milani Color Statement Doll Face is just as saturated, but a little warmer.
- OPI My Pal Joey is a true, primary blue creme. It’s really well-crafted. The formula is silky smooth and pigmented. It’s a joy to apply, delivering full coverage in two thin coats. What I love most is that it’s like NOTHING else in my stash. Zoya Sia is darker, JINsoon Cool Blue is more cobalt and intense. It’s a blue unicorn!
- OPI My Twin Mimmy is a taxi-cab yellow creme. Like most yellows, it is plagued by formula issues. It’s streaky, thick with pigment and lumpy. I used three coats here and it’s still not great, but four coats would have taken forever to dry. Deborah Lippmann Walking on Sunshine and Zoya Darcy are both pretty close to Mimmy, enough that you only need one of the three.
- OPI Never Have Too Many Friends! is a jet black creme. It’s really saturated with pigment, barely needing two coats. In a world where a lot of blacks are sheer on the first coat, this one stands out. That’s what sets it apart from OPI Black Onyx, better coverage.
- OPI Small+Cute=♥ is a rosy pink creme. It falls between Let’s Be Friends and Look at My Bow!in tone, but is definitely on the warm side though I wouldn’t call it peachy. Just more of a soft blush. I had some issues with streaking due to the thicker feel. That meant I needed three coats for full coverage. In comparison, Nubar Cover Girl is more subdued while JINsoon Dolly Pink is cooler.
- OPI Spoken from the Heart is a raspberry creme. Like My Pal Joey, the formula is flawless. Thin, pigmented and so smooth. Two coats = perfection. Because it’s such a warm shade, it doesn’t have any colour twins in my collection. OPI described it as a coral, but I’m not seeing that. Essie Peach Daiquiri is the closest I could find, but Spoken from the Heart is much much better. I’m kind of regretting not using this at my last pedicure. I think it will make anyone look more than if you like that kind of thing (my pasty self does!).
- OPI Starry-Eyed for Dear Daniel is a smooth fuchsia glitter mix. It’s a fine full-coverage glitter that looks like crushed gems. I only needed two coats and was happy to find that it doesn’t eat top coat. All of my pink glitters are either too warm or too light, so I’m showing shimmers next to it simply for colour reference. I’d say the colour is a blend of CND Sultry Sunset and Marc Jacobs Oui.
- OPI Super Cute in Pink is a Barney purple creme in that it leans pink. Some might call it pink on its own, but next to all the other colours it really screams purple. Like the other darker cremes in this collection, the formula has great flow and delivers on coverage, becoming opaque with two coats. While I don’t have an exact match for this one, I feel like there are a lot of close calls for this shade. Formula X Gemini isn’t far off, just more pink.
- OPI Say Hello Kitty is a special-edition colour that is only sold as part of a kit with Swarovski crystal bow accents. It is a hot magenta flecked shimmer. The bottle shows that some of the particles have a golden tint, but it doesn’t really show up on the nail, except to add a hint of warmth. The formula has a squishy texture that requires a thinner application to avoid lumps or pulling the polish at the tips. It’s a bit on the sheer side, to suspend the shimmer, so I used three coats. Compared to OPI Ladies & Magenta-men, Say Hello Kitty is more sparkly and lighter.
OPI Hello Kitty was a total surprise for me. Being a sucker for sparkle and collector packaging, Say Hello Kitty is a winner. And the uniqueness of Starry-Eyed for Dear Daniel and Spoken from the Heart with their top-notch formulas make them stand-outs. My Pal Joey is a no-brainer. It just makes me happy, to apply and wear. Charmmy & Sugar is intriguing, but a bit too cloying for me. It feels well-suited to a younger audience. Now that we know a new collection coming up in late 2019, what do you expect? Comment below 🙂